How to reinstate tax-exempt status if revoked?
4.3k views | Last modified 3/18/2021 2:45:41 AM EST

Applicable To
990-PF 990-N 990-EZ 990 8868 1120-POL

If your organization's tax-exempt status gets revoked automatically, you will have to submit an application with the IRS to get your status reinstated. 
Here are a few steps on how you can reinstate your tax-exempt status:

  • You have to submit a new application with the IRS.
  • 501(c)(3) organizations must apply for recognition of tax exemption using Form 1023, while all the other organizations should apply using Form 1024.
  • You should mention "automatically revoked" at the top of the form before sending it to the IRS.
  • You have to file all the income tax returns and pay the required taxes from the date of your revocation to the date your reinstatement is approved. 

If you can show a reasonable cause for not filing your 990 return, you can avoid paying the required taxes or filing the income tax returns for the period your tax-exempt status was revoked.

Was this helpful? Yes No

Sign Up for a
FREE ExpressTaxExempt Account!

Register Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(704) 839-2321 [email protected]