What type of program service accomplishments must be included in Form 990?
602 views |
Last modified 9/21/2020 10:35:59 AM EST |
Added by ExpressTaxExempt Team
A program service is generally an activity conducted by an organization to various other organizations or individuals to fulfill the purpose/mission of the organization. These activities also help the organization to accomplish its tax-exempt purpose.
A few common examples for program service accomplishments include:
- A section 501(c)(3) organization that conducts charitable activities, College degree programs, Assistance for victims of a natural disaster, or rehabilitation services to residents of a nursing home.
- A section 501(c)(5) labor union organization which conducts collective bargaining on behalf of its members
- A section 501(c)(6) organization that conducts meetings to discuss business issues with the employees.
- A section 501(c)(7) social club that creates recreational and dining facilities for members.
Here's how to add the program service accomplishments while filing Form 990 in ExpressTaxExempt:
- Log into your ExpressTaxExempt account.
- On the dashboard, click on the "Start New Return" button.
- Select the "Tax Year" and "Form 990" option on the list of Federal Return.
- Enter your organization details and click "Next."
- In the "Organization Tax Year" page, select the tax year calendar or fiscal, for which you want to file the information return. Once done, the subsequent steps will be to fill the actual parts of the form.
- Under the Organization's Program Service section, select "Start" for Program Service Accomplishments.
- Select the Add Program Service button to provide a name and description of your organization's program services
- Click Next.
- Now, follow the subsequent steps as prompted.
- Review the details, Pay, and click the Transmit button to transmit your return to the IRS.