IRS Error Code [R0000-940-03]:
The tax period you mentioned in the return does not match with the IRS. The tax period starting date must be 1-3 days after the beginning of the month or the tax period ending date must be 1-6 days before the end of the month.
The tax period mentioned in the return doesn't match with the IRS. The tax period start date must be 1-3 days after the beginning of the month, and the tax period end date must be 1-6 days before the end of the month.
What does it mean:
The tax period you have chosen in the return doesn't match with the IRS records. The tax period start date can be 1-3 days after the month begins, and the tax period end date can be 1-6 days before the month ends.
In this case, you might have selected a start date or end date that is not within the accepted range.
Check the start date and end date of the tax period. If the start date is not within 1-3 days after the month's beginning, or 1-6 days before the month ends, correct it and re-transmit your return. Refer to this list of documents to confirm your organization's tax period.
Here's how you correct the tax period on your return:
- Log in to your ExpressTaxExempt account.
- Identify the rejected return either from the Dashboard or Form History.
- To identify it from the Dashboard, keep a note of the Return ID of the rejected return that you find in the rejection email.
- To identify it from the Form History page, click the Tax Returns on the menu and you'll land in the Form History page where you'll find the rejected return listed.
- In both options, you need to click on the Rejected by the IRS button found against the rejected return to find the list of errors. Then, click the Fix Me button against the error code R0000-940-03.
- You'll land on the Tax Year page. Here you can correct the tax period start date and end date.
- Review the details, and click the Transmit button to re-transmit your return to the IRS at no additional cost.
We'll keep you informed on the status of the return once we hear back from the IRS.
For any further assistance, we recommend contacting the IRS e-Help Desk Toll-Free Number 1-866-255-0654.